Hebrew Rest Cemetery is located in Gentilly a few blocks off Elysian Fields Ave. The location was chosen for its elevated surface relative to the city so that bodies could truly be buried underground. This is due to the belief in the Jewish faith that bodies must be fully buried so the souls may properly rest.
It was established by the Congregation Shanarai Chasset. In 1860 they entered into contracts to build a metaher and enclosed two squares on Elysian Fields, Pelopidas, and Frenchman Streets with brick walls.
In 1872 Congregation Temple Sinai purchased from Shanarai Chasset half interest in the Hebrew Rest Cemetery and the two congregations formed a joint board, the Hebrew Rest Cemetery Association, to supervise the burial grounds. The cemetery was enlarged in 1894 by the purchase of land across Frenchman Street.
Hebrew Rest Cemetery is the largest Jewish cemetery in New Orleans.